Rain, snow or sunshine real estate goes around year around. If you are selling your Northern Virginia home we are fortunate to warmer and unexpected winter in 2017.
However, it is still too cold to make any exterior repairs. Especially if you are required under HOA violations (which is considered a cloud on the title of your home) to make exterior repairs what are your options. As a home seller in the Northern Virginia area, how can you navigate and negotiate exterior repair in the middle of winter weather?
Fortunately, like everything in real estate exterior repairs irrespective of the time of the year are negotiable.
1. Negotiate a credit towards purchaser’s closing cost in lieu of exterior repairs.
2. Pre-pay a contractor. When weather permits they can take care of the exterior painting.
3. Speak with purchaser’s lender if they will allow escrow for the job. When weather permits the seller can have contractor paint the exterior and pay from the proceeds. This would be a good option if there is rotting of the exterior wood and it will be tough to determine the true cost of repair.
4. Hope and pray you have a window of warm days and get your painter lined up to paint the exterior.
5. On HOA violation if you have agreed to inherit the violations as a new home owner will have 30 days from closing to correct the violation. Reach out to the HOA office and request an extension.
Ritu Desai is an Associate Broker with Samson Properties with over 13+ years and $100+ Million of real estate sales experience in residential real estate in the Fairfax and Loudoun county area of Northern Virginia area.